Monday, August 16, 2010

Are We There Yet?

That familiar refrain was ringing in my ears this morning as I braved two hours of traffic to get from my parents' lovely home to the last full week of my job in Santa Monica.

The scent of fresh-baked oatmeal-cranberry cookies was still clinging to my nostrils as I left the quiet comfort of my childhood home on Homeland Avenue. As I pulled down the tree-lined street I was reliving precious memories of my bouncing nephew, covered in cake, reveling in the joy of his first birthday. Where has this year gone? Wasn't it just yesterday that I held that precious newborn, just moments old-- all spindly arms and legs and light as a feather? And now he is one, eager and adventurous, gingerly taking first steps and hungrily exploring the world around him.

As we sat in the Hoag waiting room a year ago, two lives were being born; Ethan's and the law life that has swept me and Travis up in its wake. As we anticipated precious Ethan's arrival, Travis plopped his first law book in my lap and encouraged, "read this." The article was about living with your law student; it made suggestions about not expecting too much out of your 1L in the way of companionship on social outings, or housework, or good-naturedness. "Be patient with your law student," it beckoned, "they are under incredible amounts of stress."

I am happy to report that the article did not prove all that useful over the last year, although I could use an article about dealing with moving for your law student. I've got your stress right here. I'm so ready to just be there. To jump into my new life. The party this weekend was such a wonderful time to see those I hold near and dear and to say my goodbyes. Now it just feels like a bandage that is being slowly pulled away from my heart; I'm ready to just rip it off and get on with the healing.

I'm not gonna lie... today has been a tough one. The demands of my work on my energy and time, compounded by the toll of being separated from my husband and the prospect of being separated from my family just seems like too much today. I am longing for that place where troubles melt like lemon drops, if it even exists in this life, or at least a little reprieve. I am swiftly approaching that light at the end of the tunnel, and I am ready to bask in the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment