Thursday, August 19, 2010

Special Gift

Last night I had a lovely evening of drinks and nosh with two of my esteemed colleagues at Blind. It was great to get away from the daily grind, and just enjoy each other as people, especially since there won't be many more opportunities like this.

The night before last, my precious sister drove up from Long Beach to meet me in LA for some one-on-one time. I was of course running late and flustered when I got there, resenting the demands of my job which had stolen precious seconds from what was a much-anticipated time of togetherness. But Erin was unphased; she was relaxed and happy to see me, no matter the time, and instantly calmed and lifted my spirits.

We shared delicious mushroom-chicken crepes, oozing cheese and screaming indulgence, and if that wasn't enough, we capped our lovely meal with a chocolate souffle. The rich, airy delight tickled my tastebuds and delighted my senses.

After dinner, I was presented with a beautifully written, heartfelt card and a gorgeous necklace, both of which I will treasure for the rest of my life. It reminded me what a special gift I have in my sister-- of whom I can say that my biggest complaint is that she is making it incredibly difficult to leave. We spent the evening laughing, crying (me), and just enjoying each others company. How precious it is to have your best friend in your own family.

Sweet Erin, you have been for me a playmate, a sounding board, a source of laughter and fun, an inspiration as a worker, a wife and a mother, and a giver of tremendous joy and meaning in my life. You mean the world to me, and no distance will ever loosen the bonds that are between us. Though the physical distance may be great, you are forever in my heart. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment