Thursday, August 12, 2010

Write On, Cupcake, Write On


Travis woke up a true 2L today as he braced for the start of the SMU Write On competition. From thousands of miles away I could feel his nervous excitement, emanating through the phone last night in a two-hour conversation that left my hand numb and my heart aflutter for all the exciting things in store for my honey!

For the uninitiated, "Write On" is a mandatory competition for any students seeking membership on a law journal. Being on law review is a pretty prestigious resume-maker, not to mention a fantastic forum for new research in the field of law. Trav's grades automatically gave him a spot on his former school's journal, but at SMU he starts the process of distinguishing himself all over again. I know he can do it.

So I decided to celebrate with a cupcake. And not just any cupcake, mind you, a cinnamon-sugar Yummy Cupcake the likes of which my blood sugar has never experienced before. I was first introduced to Yummy Cupcakes on a warm summer afternoon in 2005, while strolling along the streets of Burbank where Travis used to live. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven-- a blissful paradise where butter is calorie-free and candy and cookies are heart-healthy staples. And then I woke up.

Travis doesn't really like sweets; he's more of a meat-and-potatoes guy, so a trip to Yummy.... that was a real treat.

I'm starting this kick of trying to experience all of the things that I won't get to have in Dallas. Yummy Cupcakes, In-N-Out, Trader Joe's... the indelible delicacies of socal living. I suppose it's a feeble attempt to bring a little piece of them with me (on my hips anyway!). Don't get me wrong, Dallas is not without its indulgences. SuperSonic Cheeseburger and Cherry Limeaid, anyone? But somehow, it just isn't the same. It's kinda funny how I'll have to shop at a different grocery store. Seems silly, but it's further evidence of my comfort in the familiar, and the personal stretching that will inevitably take place. I'll be doing a lot of yoga. Ha.

So Travis is writing his buns off, and I'm on a carb kick; I ate half for Travis. I think it'll give him good luck. Not that he needs it. What he needs is his Dana-free man-cave, a freezer stocked with Hungry-Man TV Dinners, his blue book and his brain. He's all set.

Can't wait to hear the outcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment