Monday, August 9, 2010

Happiness Hangover

I woke up this morning with the taste of this weekend's delicious memories on my tongue, and an ache in my heart knowing that I am about to bid the people I love most farewell. From breakfast with my entire family at my favorite diner, to a slumber party and glorious hike with my very best friend, to an evening with the family at the fair....I think it finally started to sink in that the adventure my husband and I are embarking upon is a solitary one, and requires us to leave the ones we love.

The fair brought back so many wonderful memories of family time together, taking in the feeling of animal fur on my fingertips and the rich earthy aromas, drinking ice cold chocolate milk. What joy to see my precious nephew, almost a year old, petting the goats and eating ice cream, exploring the world with such hunger and delight. And my sister, my best friend since birth, and I eating balboa bars with the same fervor that we consumed them in our youth. When will I be able to do this again?

And my best friend and I, the dynamic duo since our first day at UCI, sitting on her bed and talking about our relationships and feelings, with more honesty than we often reveal to ourselves. How can I leave my precious friend?

The overabundance of love, joy, and feelings of belonging that I experienced this weekend left me with a heartache when I awoke alone this morning. I'm certain that this is the first of many mornings that I will long for this blessed life and these adored people that I am leaving. But what an age we live in, and what an opportunity to get creative with communication to maintain and strengthen those bonds of love.

2 comments:

  1. Dana~

    You have an amazing talent in expressing yourself through the written word!! We wish you and Travis many blessings and joy filled adventures as you embark on this new journey!!

    Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    Thank you so much for your compliment and prayers! I love you!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete